CONTACT

EMAIL: sapnasaharadopt@gmail.com . TEXT: 202-643-1855 . PHONE: 800-658-7574

Friday, December 25, 2015

Baa's Transition


This month was difficult and full of sadness, as my paternal grandmother Shardaben Pandya, whom we fondly called "Baa", passed away. She came from India to the United States when I was born. In spite of this terrible loss, I am able to feel thankful for a few things which I keep remembering - for one thing, my grandmother was 95 years old when she passed. Sahar and I brought her a homemade cake (a relatively healthy version!) in the hospital on her most recent birthday this October, and celebrated this incredible milestone. I am also so grateful to have had her supportive and caring presence in my life. I still remember how excited she was to come to my and Sahar's house for the first time, and the beautiful wedding presents she brought us. Finally, on her passing, what stood out was actually the strong bond shared among my family. My sister, cousins and I worked together to create a beautiful ceremony to celebrate times with Baa, including a slideshow documenting times with my grandmother, which we shared with other Indian community members in Maryland this past weekend. Many of my and Sahar's "chosen family" also attended and have been such a source of support during this time. I do wish she would be alive to meet our child, but I am confident her love will continue to shine through from the heavens!

 - Sapna

No comments:

Post a Comment